DU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
Student health insurance is a mandatory requirement at the University of Denver. The DU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a comprehensive student health insurance plan underwritten by United Healthcare StudentResources and available exclusively to actively enrolled DU students. SHIP provides ideal coverage for most members of the DU student community, especially when combined with the Health & Counseling Fee (HCF), which grants access to a wide range of services offered by the DU Health & Counseling Center.
SHIP benefits include low co-payments, a $750 in-network deductible, an in-network out-of-pocket maximum of $1500, and an extensive, nationwide network of excellent providers. And if you live on or near the DU campus, SHIP coverage means your primary health care provider, the Health & Counseling Center, is only steps away.
While we recommend SHIP coverage for all students, participation in the plan is not required, and can be declined by submitting a SHIP waiver along with proof of adequate alternate insurance.
Eligibility and Exceptions
All actively enrolled DU students (except those in completely online programs*) are eligible to enroll in SHIP. Students registered for six or more credit hours (eight or more for law students), at least one of which is on campus, will be automatically enrolled in SHIP unless they submit a SHIP waiver along with proof of adequate alternate coverage. Students who are actively enrolled but taking less than six credit hours (eight for law students) must manually enroll in SHIP at the Health & Counseling Center prior to the enrollment deadline listed below.
The DU SHIP premium is assessed to students registered in most academic units on campus (excluding University College and programs including the Graduate Tax, Executive MBA, and Continuous Enrollment for all programs). The premium is assessed each fall and spring term for students enrolled in six or more credit hours per quarter (eight or more credit hours per semester). The premium is included on the tuition bill and covers a six-month period.
*DU students in completely online programs are not eligible to enroll in SHIP or receive services at the HCC.
Download the 2021–2022 SHIP Brochure and Certificate
The DU Student Health Insurance Plan was developed specifically for DU students, and we believe it offers the best coverage available for the vast majority of our student body. Of course, like any insurance plan, it is not without its limitations. Consult the Plan Summary Brochure for complete details.
- The DU Health & Counseling Center is the primary care provider for the plan. This means all primary care starts at the HCC and referrals are required before seeking specialty care. If you are seen and given a referral to a specialist, the in-network deductible is $750 plus 15% up to $1,500 per year. If you seek treatment without a referral or see an out-of-network provider, the out-of-network deductible is $1,500 plus 40% up to $7,500 per year.
- Coverage exclusions are listed in the brochure.
- The plan does not include vision or dental. However, there is a separate dental plan.
2021–2022 SHIP Enrollment/Waiver Deadlines
- Fall Quarter: October 1, 2021
- Winter Quarter: January 21, 2022*
- Spring Quarter: April 15, 2022
- Summer Quarter: July 1, 2022*
*The winter and summer quarter enrollment periods are available to first-time, new, and study-abroad students only. All other students may enroll in the fall or spring quarters.
- Fall Semester: September 3, 2021
- Spring Semester: January 28, 2022
- Summer Semester: June 17, 2022*
*The summer semester enrollment period is available to first-time, new, and study-abroad students only. All other students may enroll in the fall or spring semesters.
2021–2022 SHIP Coverage Dates
- Fall and Winter Quarters: September 1, 2021 – March 27, 2022
- Spring Quarter: March 28, 2022 – August 31, 2022
- Fall Semester: August 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
- Spring Semester: January 1, 2022 – July 31, 2022
2021–2022 SHIP Cost and Payment
The cost to participate in the DU Student Health Insurance Plan for the 2021–2022 academic year is $3,450, split into two charges of $1,725, and assessed to student accounts in the fall and spring quarters. This is comparable to the cost of much more limited plans on the Colorado Insurance Exchange Marketplace. The SHIP would be rated as a platinum plan under the Affordable Care Act.
Payments for the DU Student Health Insurance Plan can be made online through DUPay. Academic year registration will be verified before enrollment is processed and charges are added.