DU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
Student health insurance is a mandatory requirement at the University of Denver. The DU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a comprehensive student health insurance plan underwritten by United Healthcare StudentResources and available exclusively to DU students actively enrolled in an on-campus, degree seeking program. SHIP provides ideal coverage for most members of the DU student community, especially when combined with the Health & Counseling Fee (HCF), which grants access to a wide range of services offered by the DU Health & Counseling Center.
SHIP benefits include low co-payments, a $750 in-network deductible, an in-network out-of-pocket maximum of $1500, and an extensive, nationwide network of excellent providers. And if you live on or near the DU campus, SHIP coverage means your primary health care provider, the Health & Counseling Center, is only steps away.
While we recommend SHIP coverage for all students, participation in the plan is not required, and can be declined by submitting a SHIP waiver along with proof of adequate alternate insurance.
Eligibility and Exceptions
All DU students enrolled in a degree seeking program(except those in completely online programs*) are eligible to enroll in SHIP. Students registered for one or more credit hours, will be automatically enrolled in SHIP unless they submit a SHIP waiver along with proof of adequate alternate coverage.
The premium is assessed each fall and spring term for students enrolled in one or more in person credit hours per quarter/semester. The premium is included on the tuition bill and covers a six-month period. The DU SHIP premium is assessed to students registered in most academic units on campus (excluding University College and programs including the Graduate Tax, Executive MBA, and Continuous Enrollment for all programs). Students enrolled in these programs are required to enroll at the HCC.
*DU students in completely online programs are not eligible to enroll in SHIP or receive services at the HCC.
How to Participate / Enroll
If you choose to participate in the Student Health Insurance Program, complete the form located in MyDU.
- In MyDU: Select the following options:
- Student Resources
- Records and Requests
- Accept/Waive Health Insurance
- Once on the Health and Counseling Fee Waiver page, students simply need to click the radio button to elect coverage. An email confirmation will be sent within 48 hours confirming the coverage choice.
- Even if students accept coverage in the Student Health Insurance Plan, they must meet the minimum enrollment requirements. If a student accepts coverage and is enrolled for 1 or more hours the student’s acceptance will be communicated to the insurance carrier.
If an eligible student does not submit a waiver decision by the deadline, they will be auto enrolled in the DU Student Health Insurance Plan.
If you have specific questions regarding the plan benefits or coverage, please contact our office at (303)-871-2205 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- In MyDU: Select the following options:
Download the 2023–2024 SHIP Brochure and Certificate
The DU Student Health Insurance Plan was developed specifically for DU students, and we believe it offers the best coverage available for the vast majority of our student body. Of course, like any insurance plan, it is not without its limitations. Consult the Plan Summary Brochure for complete details.
- The DU Health & Counseling Center is the primary care provider for the plan. This means all primary care starts at the HCC and referrals are required before seeking specialty care. If you are seen and given a referral to a specialist, the in-network deductible is $750 plus 15% up to $1,500 per year. If you seek treatment without a referral or see an out-of-network provider, the out-of-network deductible is $1,500 plus 40% up to $7,500 per year.
- Coverage exclusions are listed in the brochure.
- The plan does not include vision or dental. However, there is a separate dental plan.
2023–2024 SHIP Enrollment/Waiver Deadlines
- Fall Quarter: September 29, 2023
- Winter Quarter: January 26, 2024*
- Spring Quarter: April 19, 2024
- Summer Quarter: July 5, 2024*
*The winter and summer quarter enrollment periods are available to first-time, new, and study-abroad students only. All other students may enroll in the fall or spring quarters.
- Fall Semester: September 1, 2023
- Spring Semester: January 26, 2024
- Summer Semester: June 14, 2024*
*The summer semester enrollment period is available to first-time, new, and study-abroad students only. All other students may enroll in the fall or spring semesters.
2023–2024 SHIP Coverage Dates
- Fall and Winter Quarters: September 1, 2023 – March 31, 2024
- Spring and Summer Quarters: April 1, 2024 – August 31, 2024
- Fall Semester: August 1, 2023 – December 31, 2023
- Spring and Summer Semesters: January 1, 2024 – July 31, 2024
2023–2024 SHIP Cost and Payment
The cost to participate in the DU Student Health Insurance Plan for the 2023–2024 academic year is $3,770, split into two charges of $1,885, and assessed to student accounts in the fall and spring quarters. This is comparable to the cost of much more limited plans on the Colorado Insurance Exchange Marketplace. The SHIP would be rated as a platinum plan under the Affordable Care Act.
Payments for the DU Student Health Insurance Plan can be made online through DUPay. Academic year registration will be verified before enrollment is processed and charges are added.