Travel Health

Prepare for your travels with the Health & Counseling Center. Here, you can get the travel immunizations you need, along with advice on how to stay healthy wherever you are going. The HCC providers can also prescribe any preventive medications advisable for your trip.

Helpful Travel Health Links


All students traveling abroad, whether for studying or for leisure, should visit a provider for immunizations, travel medications, and medical travel advice prior to their departure. If you need a physical exam or have a form that must be completed prior to travel, please schedule an appointment either through MyHealth or by calling 303-871-2321.

Appointments should be scheduled as far in advance of your departure date as possible, as some immunizations require time for your body to build immunity. Be sure to bring all immunization records with you from your previous clinic(s) to prevent duplicate immunizations.

Study Abroad

If you are planning on studying abroad, you may need immunizations prior to leaving the country. As soon as your travel program has been approved, schedule a travel physical at the University of Denver Health and Counseling Center (HCC), at least four weeks before you depart. It is important to allow enough time for immunizations because many take time to become effective and some must be administered in a series. Generally, health risks and illness are greater in developing countries than developed countries.

Below is a checklist of health related tasks to complete prior to studying abroad. Please refer to the Centers for Disease Control website for more information.

  • Study Abroad Checklist
    • Schedule your travel physical at the HCC at least four to six weeks prior to leaving the country.
    • You will need your updated immunization record so travel vaccines can be recorded. If you have a copy of your immunization record, please bring it to your appointment. If you do not have a copy, please ask if we have a copy on file when you call to schedule your appointment.
    • Please have a general idea of all regions you intend to visit, as well as activities that you are interested in participating in, so appropriate vaccinations can be administered.
    • If you will be taking birth control or other medications, you will need to take a large enough supply to last while you are abroad. We can write the prescription.
    • You will also need to take a written prescription of all medications, including birth control, in case you need a refill while abroad.
    • Put together a traveler's health kit. Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website to view a list of suggested items or talk to your health care provider.
    • Visit the Traveler's Health section on CDC website to see specific guidelines and current notices about the country you will be traveling in.


Health Insurance Abroad

Ensuring you have adequate health insurance abroad is vitally important before embarking on any international travel. Get detailed information on health care coverage outside the United States, including coverage offered by the Student Health Insurance Plan, at the link below.

Coverage Abroad