Frequently Asked Questions

Collegiate Recovery Program FAQs

  • CRP FAQs

    How do I attend CRC meetings?

    Yes. Isolation and social distancing create an environment where the disease of addiction thrives and recovery often falters. Meetings are held face-to-face with a hybrid option. Contact 303-871-3699 or for meeting information.

    Can I meet with a CRP staff member on an individual basis?

    Yes. To schedule an individual meeting, call 303-871-3699 email

    Do you have recovery housing and parking?

    Yes. We offer studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments next door to the Center for Collegiate Recovery. Parking permits are available for a fee directly behind the recovery housing apartment building and across the street. 

    How do I become a member of the CRC?

    Call 303-871-3699 or email to schedule a meeting with the CRP Coordinator. 

    What are the expectations and benefits of membership in the Collegiate Recovery Program?

    Email or call 303-871-3699 to learn the expectations and the benefits of being a member of the Collegiate Recovery Program.

    What should I expect in a Zoom meeting with a staff member or  the hybrid CRC All Recovery Meetings?

    As the social connection is an important foundational piece of recovery, utilizing technology is supplemental to face-to-face meetings when appropriate. The following guidelines are intended to create a virtual atmosphere where anonymity is protected, intimacy and vulnerability feel safe, and discussions happen fluidly.

    • During mutual aid groups, small group sessions, and one-on-one coaching meetings, plan to be alone or utilize headphones to protect others' anonymity and private conversations.
    • Reduce noise around you and place your microphone on mute if you're not sharing or talking. Also, pay attention to your background to not be distracting to other meeting attendees.
    • Minimize distractions by not multitasking during the meetings (i.e. having other social media windows open). Try and give your community members your undivided attention.
    • Make sure to continue attending the "meeting before the meeting" and staying after the allotted time. This remains the best time to strengthen relationships with your fellow community members.
    • An audio and visual presence is encouraged if possible.
    • As going around the circle to determine who shares next is not always feasible, "popcorn" style and "pass the stick" style meetings are encouraged.
    • Whom you see and hear at a meeting is still protected information. If a roommate or passerby asks, "Who are you talking to?" saying, "I'm talking with a group of friends or classmates," is a great response.

    How do I find off-campus recovery support?

    We strongly suggest utilizing virtual and/or phone twelve-step meetings. You can explore such meetings here:

    • YPR (Young People in Recovery)
    • Full Circle
    • Smart Recovery
    • Refuge Recovery
    • Dharma Recovery
    • Codependency Anonymous
    • Narcotics Anonymous
    • Alcoholics Anonymous Online Meetings
    • Eating Disorders Anonymous
    • Marijuana Anonymous Online Meetings
    • Cocaine Anonymous Online Meetings
    • Sex and Love Addicts Online & Phone Meetings
    • Sex Addicts Anonymous Online Meetings
    • Any other recovery pathway that works for you

    Will I still have access to therapeutic support?

    Yes. You may schedule an in-person or telehealth appointment with the Health and Counseling Center at 303-871-2205. For first-time appointments, in-person meetings are preferred. An on-call counselor is available if a same-day appointment isn't an option. After-hour therapists are available through TELUS Health (MySSP) app. For more information contact 303-871-2205.

    If I am a parent/guardian whom do I contact if I have any questions about the University of Denver Collegiate Recovery Program?

    Dr. Waltrina DeFrantz-Dufor, Director of the Collegiate Recovery Program, will be available by calling phone at 303-871-3699 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

  • Where is the CRC?

    The Center for Collegiate Recovery (CCR) is located on campus at 1931 S. York Street. Known as "The White Cottage" the center is used for meetings as well as for open social and study space. 

  • Do you have sober housing?

    Yes. Recovery Housing is located next door to the Center for Collegiate Recovery, in the MESA apartment building on the DU campus. Any student who identifies as a person in recovery can apply for a studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom apartment. For best consideration, apply and submit a housing deposit by May 1.

    Apply Now

  • How do I get involved with the CRC?

    Getting involved can be as simple as walking through the front door! A student can have an individual meeting with a CRP staff member by calling 303-871-3699 or emailing If a student is unsure if the CRC is what they need, we welcome that conversation.

  • Do you offer twelve-step meetings?

    No. Although students can use the CCR as a space for 12-step fellowship meetings. 


  • If I am interested in attending a recovery meeting at the Center what are the requirements?

    Call 303-871-3699 or email 

  • What if someone needs one-on-one substance use counseling?

    Briana Johnson, an HCC Staff Counselor and the Coordinator of Alcohol & Other Drug Support Services could be a resource for counseling or referral. The CRC itself does not provide clinical substance use counseling, detox, intensive outpatient programs, or inpatient care, but the Health and Counseling Center has the ability to provide referrals.

  • What about students pursuing medication-assisted recovery?

    The HCC does not currently offer medication-assisted recovery (MAR) or medically-assisted treatment (MAT) services but would be glad to help you find assistance in the community.


  • What if someone is interested or just curious about recovery?

    Harm reduction is offered through recovery coaching appointments. We are happy to provide information about the Collegiate Recovery Program without the pressure of commitment. Contact us at 303-871-3699 or email

  • Is the CRC free?

    Yes. Some special events (recovery conferences, ski trips, sporting events, etc.) may involve costs, but generally, CRP services are available free of charge to currently enrolled students.

  • What if I'm looking to give/receive support, but I'm not a DU student?

    While the CRC meetings are primarily for DU members, we welcome students from other institutions of higher education who are interested or who believe they would benefit from our community.