Housing After Study Abroad
What to Expect
Finding housing after studying abroad can be stressful. We suggest that you begin the process early, about a year before coming back to the U.S. Below are some helpful suggestions.
On-Campus Housing and Tips
On-campus housing is done by a waitlist process ("first come, first serve") basis and rooms are assigned based on application completion date, classification/class year and availability.
In addition, students planning on participating on study abroad and considering their housing options upon their return (usually for Winter-Spring quarters) should be aware of the following policies when seeking on-campus housing:
- Students may not reserve the space by paying for it for fall quarter.
- Please know that housing is not guaranteed due to limited space availability. However, if offered a space on-campus, study abroad students are not encouraged to expect specific roommates, as typically only shared spaces will become available.
- If students do not receive on-campus housing, they will not be eligible for the Residence Hall Grant.
For more information or questions about the Residence Hall Grant and eligibility requirements, please contact the Office of Financial Aid or visit the Financial Aid website.
If you know you will be studying abroad for the Winter 2023 quarter and would like to apply for on-campus housing for the Spring 2023 quarter, the Spring Only 2023 Housing Application is available for students to apply through the Housing Portal.
- The waitlist will be based upon a completed housing application date. This housing application will remain open until the start of Spring 2023. Please know the earlier you complete the application, the higher you will be on the waitlist when housing begins making those placements.
- HRE will communicate with the Spring 2023 waitlist students beginning in Winter 2023. There will be communication emailed to students periodically to let them know about the spring housing waitlist.
- The spring quarter room assignments will not begin until week 8 of winter quarter, as we will know which spaces will be available starting then. There will be an ongoing placements to students based upon their application completion date. Students will be communicated with periodically to let them know the status of the waitlist.
- As students are placed in on-campus housing, they will be emailed with their room assignment information. Students will need to cancel by the date listed in the placement email to avoid any late cancellation penalties.
If you are a rising 2nd year student participating in study abroad, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us and receive information on next steps.
Tips from Past
- Come to a mutual agreement among roommates about when/if you will have sub-letters.
- Have multiple options in the works. Start looking and thinking about housing before you go abroad.
- Be flexible. Be open to living more than a few blocks from campus, especially if you want a shorter-term lease. You'll save a lot of money that way!