Two-Year Live-On Requirement and Contract Release/Breakage

DU requires all incoming first-year, second-year, and transfer students to live on campus and subscribe to a residential meal plan to support their academic experiences and overall success. Living on campus encourages students to take responsibility for their daily lives, including managing their schedules, handling household tasks, and making decisions about their well-being.

On-campus students can expect to have:

  • Opportunities to build a strong sense of community, friendship, and support by being surrounded by peers going through similar experiences.
  • Gradual transition to independent living by learning essential life skills such as time management and problem-solving.
  • Being close to DU resources, such as dining, student support services, academic advising, classrooms, and other campus facilities.
  • Making participating in extracurricular activities, clubs, and events easier.
  • Exposure to a diverse array of people, ideas, and cultures to help broaden perspectives and foster a greater understanding of diversity within our communities and the globalized world.
  • Lasting memories and friendships.

Release from Two-Tear Live-On Requirement

  • Release Requirements

    It depends. Students may request to be released from both live-on and meal plan requirements prior to completing our Housing Contract. At the time of the request, students must provide documentation that they meet one or more of the following criteria:

    1. Living at Parent/Legal Guardian's Permanent Residence
      The student resides during the academic year at their parent/legal guardian's permanent residence within a twenty-five (25) mile driving distance of campus.
    2. Marriage or Civil Union
      The student is legally married or in a legally recognized civil union.
    3. Age Requirement
      The student is 21 or older before University housing opens for the academic year.
    4. Residence with Dependent Children
      The student resides with their dependent children.
    5. Transfer Student with Prior Housing Affiliation
      The student is a transfer student who lived for two years in housing affiliated with the institution of higher education that they previously attended.

    This request is only valid for the academic year of application.

  • Submitting a Release Request

    Students can submit a request to be released from the Two-Year Live-On Requirement in their Housing Portal by selecting "Contract Release/Breakage." Our system will automatically direct you to the appropriate form.

    If you have any questions, please email

Breakage of the Housing Contract

  • Breakage Requirements

    After June 30, students may only request to break the Housing Contract if they meet one of the following criteria:

    1. Graduation from DU
      The student is no longer required to fulfill the housing contract if they have graduated from DU.

    2. Official Withdrawal from DU
      If the student officially withdraws from DU, they are no longer bound by the housing contract.

    3. Significant, Unanticipated Changes Beyond Control
      The student is exempt from the housing contract if there is a significant, unanticipated change in circumstances that occurred after the date on which the student signed the contract and was beyond their control.

  • Submitting a Breakage Request

    Students can submit a contract breakage request in their Housing Portal. They are required to include an explanation of and supporting documentation for their request. HRE will review the request and inform the student of the decision.

    Before submitting a request, please review our Housing Contract to understand your financial responsibilities regarding breaking your housing contract.

    If you have any questions, please email