Medical Leave & Re-Entry
A student with a mental health and/or physical health condition may apply for a voluntary Medical Leave of Absence from the University. The Medical Leave of Absence and Medical Re-Entry Policies describe the circumstances under which a student may request a Medical Leave of Absence, and the procedures the student must follow.
The student initiates the process for a Medical Leave of Absence by completing the Withdrawal Form, which is available on MyDU, citing health/medical as the reason for withdrawal.
You can learn more about the Medical Leave of Absence by contacting Student Outreach & Support at email@example.com.
Medical Leave of Absence Process at a Glance
- Submit Intent to Withdraw for health/medical reasons via MyDU portal
- Submit Treating Healthcare Provider Medical Leave of Absence Form to Student Outreach & Support (SOS)
- Applicable Student Affairs & Inclusive Excellence staff members reviews completed medical leave application
- SOS will notify the student regarding the decision via electronic letter
- If approved, SOS will place a hold on the student’s account. The hold is removed when the student successfully completes the reentry process.
Medical Withdrawal Considerations
- Discuss your decision:
- Undergraduate students are encouraged to speak with their academic advisor.
- Graduate students are encouraged to speak with their program advisor.
- Students receiving financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office at 303-871-4020 or at firstname.lastname@example.org about loan, scholarship and other financial aid impact.
- Student employees should contact employment services in the Financial Aid Office at 303-871-4020 or at email@example.com.
- Students with graduate assistantships should contact the Office of Graduate Education at 303-871-2706.
- Students living on-campus must vacate their residence within 72 hours of withdrawing from classes. For additional assistance contact Contact Housing & Residential Education at 303-871-2246 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- International students in the United States with F-1 or J-1 visa status must contact International Student & Scholar Services at 303-871-4912 or by email at email@example.com
- Student Athletes must contact Student-Athlete Support Services at 303-871-4532.
- Students insured through the University Student Health Insurance Plan should check with the Health & Counseling Center at 303-871-2205 about their health insurance coverage.
- For more information regarding eligibility requirements and coverage for the DU Student Health Insurance Plan, currently underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR), please refer to the DU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) .
- If a medical leave of absence is approved, a hold is placed on the student's accounts. The re-entry process explains how to remove this hold when applying for re-entry.
- Discuss your decision:
Campus Housing Considerations
- Students living in University housing should contact Housing & Residential Education directly at 303-871-2246 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions. More detailed information about the check-out procedures can be found at Steps for Moving out Mid-Quarter.
- Students in the process of obtaining a Medical Leave of Absence approval who want to move out immediately should remove all belongings from their room, make sure the room is cleaned, return all keys to the front desk of the building and email email@example.com to give notice of the move-out due to pending Medical Leave.
- Students who have withdrawn from classes for the quarter must, within 72 hours, remove all belongings from their room, make sure the room is cleaned, return all keys to the front desk of the building and email firstname.lastname@example.org to give notice of the move-out due to Medical Leave.
- All room and meal plan charges will be prorated to the day of check out, pending MLOA approval.
- Students must complete a new housing application for their expected quarter of return and will be placed on a waitlist for a new room assignment. Original residential buildings and room assignments cannot be reserved; however, Housing & Residential Education will attempt to make the assignments before the start of the quarter after Medical Re-Entry has been approved.
Retroactive Withdrawal for Medical Reasons
Students who submit incomplete Medical Leave Applications or submit applications after the last day of the term will be referred to the Academic Exceptions Process for retroactive withdrawal. The student must complete and file a petition through MyDU.
NOTE: Medical documentation must reflect that the student had a consultation—either in-person or virtually via tele-health—with the treating physician, licensed mental health provider, or other licensed healthcare provider during the term for which the student is requesting the retroactive withdrawal for medical reasons.
Please note that retroactive medical withdrawal processes are handled by the office of Academic Affairs.
Medical Re-Entry Process at a Glance
- Submit Reentry from Medical Leave of Absence Form
- SOS will remove the hold on the student’s account allowing them to register for courses
- Contact the Office of the Registrar for a time ticket, which is a window of time that you can meet with an advisor to register for classes.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 303-871-4095
- Submit Treating Healthcare Provider Medical Reentry Form
- Important: This must be submitted and approved before the end of the first week of the quarter or you will be administratively withdrawn from your classes.
- Applicable Student Affairs & Inclusive Excellence staff members review completed medical leave reentry application
- SOS will notify the student regarding the decision via electronic letter.
Medical Re-Entry Considerations
- Students must clear any registration holds via MyDU prior to registering for classes and updating contact information. For assistance with your MyDU account, contact Information Technology at 303-871-4700 or http://support.du.edu.
- Students are responsible for securing financial aid, if needed, for the quarters in which they plan to re-enroll, and are subject to the same financial aid deadlines as continuing students. For information on applying for financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 303-871-4020 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- International students in the United States with F-1 or J-1 visa status must contact International Student & Scholar Services at 303-871-4912.
- Student athletes should contact Student-Athlete Support Services at 303-871-4532.
- Students previously living in University housing must contact Housing & Residential Education at 303-871-2246 or email@example.com to complete a housing application for the quarter they desire to return. Returning students may be placed on a waitlist for new room assignments while the re-entry application is pending. Following approval, Housing & Residential Education will make a room assignment for the student based on availability.