Faculty Resources

This page offers helpful DU resources, guidelines, and FAQs about working with and teaching students with disabilities. If you need help finding a resource that isn't listed here, or just have questions, don't hesitate to contact SDS during normal business hours at 303-871-3241 or SDS@du.edu any time. We'd love to hear from you and help you support students at the University of Denver.

students walking on DU campus

How do I...?

As a faculty member, you have a lot to manage. To find information about student accommodations and your responsibilities, select the relevant button below.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What can I discuss with a student who has a disability?

    You may discuss the student's learning style and learning needs, and how you can work together to meet those needs. Supporting a student does not necessarily require knowing what their disability is. If a student voluntarily discloses his or her disability, you are welcome to ask more questions. However, it is not appropriate to ask, "What is your disability?"

  • How are accommodations approved?

    Students provide medical or psycho-educational assessment(s) documentation to the DSP and complete an intake packet requesting specific accommodations. DSP staff review these requests and determine what accommodations, if any, are reasonable. Accommodations deemed reasonable by the DSP staff are detailed in Letters of Approved Accommodations (LOAAs), which students must share with their teachers, who are then responsible for working with the DSP to implement the approved accommodations.

  • What if I think an accommodation is inappropriate?

    DSP staff make accommodations review decisions in a manner that ensures that accommodations do not fundamentally alter the essential program or course requirements or desired learning outcomes. Students with disabilities must meet the same learning outcomes their peers without disabilities. We may collaborate with faculty or departments to ensure these criteria are met. If you have concerns, please contact the DSP office. However, in the meantime, please try to accommodate the student.

  • What should I do if a student seems to require the DSP support but has not requested accommodations?

    First, speak with the student directly. Ask about their perspective and ways in which they feel you or the school could offer additional support. Next, if the student discloses a disability or chronic medical condition in this discussion, direct them to the DSP office to begin the accommodations process. If the student does not disclose a disability, you can still direct them to a variety of on-campus support options, including the DSP and LEP, Academic Advising, Health & Counseling Center (HCC), and the Writing, Math, Science, and Engineering Centers in the Anderson Academic Commons (AAC). You may also consider submitting a Pioneers CARE report.

  • Does DSP provide accommodations for temporary injuries or illness?

    Yes, the DSP provides accommodations for temporary injuries and illnesses, including broken bones, long-term illness, and concussions. Students with short-term illnesses such as cold or flu are not covered by the ADA, and should work directly with instructors to arrange informal modifications per the Academic Accommodations Policy.

  • What is the Learning Effectiveness Program (LEP) and how is it related to DSP?

    The LEP is a fee-for-service program that supports students with disabilities via academic counseling, tutoring and time management support. The accommodations that the DSP reviews and approves are implemented at not cost to the student . Though the programs are separate, both are administered by the offices of the Student Affairs and Inclusive Excellence (SAIE) and the Dean of Students (DOS) office.

  • What about faculty and staff members who need accommodations?

    In compliance with federal, state and local laws regarding equal access, and as part of DU's commitment to an inclusive, welcoming, and accessible community, the University provides workplace accommodations to all qualified faculty and staff members. Employees can learn more about requesting accommodations associated with disabilities or health conditions by visiting the University of Denver Accessibility webpages.

Other Resources

DU Office of Teaching & Learning

The Office of Teaching & Learning (OTL) provides professional development opportunities to improve teaching practices for new and experienced faculty members, develops and supports state-of-the-art technology and web-based applications that enhance student learning, and collaborates with faculty on innovative teaching projects. We encourage you to collaborate with OTL to enhance design for students of all learning styles.

The Blue Folder: Disability Accommodations Guide

The Blue Folder is a quick resource guide to understanding your responsibilities to students with disabilities. It can help ensure that you're providing all the accommodations required by law. If you would like a hard copy of the Blue Folder, please contact the DSP office.