Transitioning to College

The transition from high school to college or higher education poses significant challenges for virtually every new undergraduate. But for students requiring disability accommodations, it can be especially confusing, since laws that govern the rights and responsibilities of both students and academic institutions differ substantially between K–12 and post-secondary education.

The Disability Services Program (DSP) is here to help you understand these differences and guide you through the transition process to ensure your educational access needs are met at DU.

Student Responsibilities

At the collegiate level, students are responsible for disclosing their disabilities to designated college officials or department(s) and requesting accommodations, as well as obtaining the appropriate supporting documentation and providing it to the school. If you are approved for reasonable accommodations at DU, an Accommodations Specialist will be assigned to act as your DSP liaison.

Throughout this process, both before and after approval, you, not your parent(s) or guardian(s), will be responsible for the interactive process or actively engaging with the DSP office. This includes promptly informing your Accommodations Specialist if your accommodation(s) have become inadequate or resulted in undesirable outcomes. The DSP will work with you to help to resolve any issues.

Helpful Documents