Teaching Online & Accessibility
Below, we offer a collection of links to third-party accessibility resources and guidelines helpful for implementing accommodations in online course. Faculty members with questions or concerns about the accommodations process shouldn't hesitate to contact the DSP. Our staff is happy to provide consultation and guidance as needed.
Designing Accessible Online Courses
- Canvas supports many features that contribute to course design accessibility.
- Instructure provides Canvas accessibility standards as well as general accessibility guidelines.
- The National Center on Disability Access to Education (NCDAE) also provides guidelines for creating accessible electronic content.
Creating Accessible Documents and Presentations
- Creating accessible text documents using Word
- Creating accessible spreadsheets using Excel
- Creating accessible emails using Outlook
- Creating accessible slide shows using PowerPoint
- Displaying real time captions using PowerPoint in Office 365
- Microsoft provides guidelines on creating accessible PDFs from Word documents.
- Adobe provides guidelines on creating accessible PDFs using Acrobat.
- You can use Google Slides to display the presenter's words as captions in real time.
Transcribing, Captioning and Recording Audio and Video
- Automatically generate captions for videos uploaded into Canvas or DU MediaSpace.
- Auto-generated captions can be reviewed and corrected using Kaltura's Closed Caption Editor.
- YouTube will automatically generate captions on all uploaded videos.
- Auto-generated captions can be reviewed and corrected within YouTube Studio.
- Audio and video of Zoom meetings can be recorded to either a local computer or the cloud.
- Meetings recorded to the cloud can be set to have an audio transcript generated automatically by Zoom.
- Auto-generated transcripts can be edited using the Zoom web portal.
- Transcripts can be set to display as closed captions on video recordings.
Extending Quiz Time in Canvas
- Extended time can be added to timed quizzes in Canvas for students with this accommodation listed on their LOAAs.
- The DU Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) provides a step-by-step guide to adding extra time to a published quiz.