Scroll down for the answers to frequently asked questions about orientation, housing and dining, financial aid, academic support and more.

FAQ: New Student and Parent Programs

  • Discoveries Orientation

    Are parents allowed on campus after the move in period?
    Parents can be there to help students move in and get settled. We want to keep our residence halls as accessible as possible for everyone to have the opportunity to move about and get to their rooms easily, so we ask that after your student moves in, that parents depart the residences to make room for the next group of students. We encourage you to explore campus to visit our open offices, make last trips to the store, and meet other parents around campus. Please be sure students are present for their Residence Hall meeting that afternoon. 

    Are students expected to participate in any online orientation activities that occur prior to moving in?
    Yes. All students who are starting their first term at DU will have a virtual orientation course to complete as well as Ever-Fi training. The Discoveries Orientation staff will continue to communicate directly with students by email throughout the summer. Please encourage your student to set up their DU email, if they haven’t already done that. Students can learn more and stay up to date on their requirements here.

    When should my student arrive on campus?
    Arrival is determined by the student’s assigned move-in date and time, which will be delivered to each student’s DU email in late July. More information about student housing on campus can be found at https://www.du.edu/housing/student/movingin.

    What if my student doesn’t live on campus? When do they have orientation?
    Students who will not live on campus would need to check in before their orientation program begins. The location of check-in will be announced to students by mid-August, and the schedule of programs can be found on this site when it is ready to be published.

    Do parents have an orientation program after their student moves in?
    Parents/guardians are being provided with orientation programming virtually throughout the summer. You will be invited to participate in webinars and watch videos provided by our campus partners. All of our sessions will be recorded and placed on our website. On the day of Move In we will have opportunities for parents to meet other parents along with DU Offices. Information on this programming will be live with the schedule in late August. 

  • Housing & Dining

    In Dimond Family Residential Village (DFRV), is there an RA per pod, per floor? What exactly is a pod?
    There will be 1-2 RAs per floor (also known as the wing). DFRV has 2 wings (East and West) and each wing has 3 pods. Each pod is a community of rooms and each pod is separated by a lounge, bathroom or study space.

    Are kitchenettes in Centennial Halls or Towers equipped with dishes?
    The kitchenettes do not have plates, dishes or utensils. Students will need to bring their own.

    Can students receive packages from home, Amazon, etc.? How do we get the address of the dorm?
    You can ship your personal belongings to your mailing address on campus, but make sure they won't get there early. We cannot accept packages until after move in as our desks do not fully operate until then and mail carriers have also been informed that our desk will not accept packages until that day, so please plan accordingly. Addresses for the residence halls can be found on this page. Make sure you put your student’s room number on the address.

    Are there other options for shipping items before we move in?
    There are UPS stores and a PAK Mail store near campus that could receive mail for you to pick up after you get to Denver, however it is important to account for the Labor Day holiday on Monday, Sept 6th. Some of those stores will not be open on that day. Another option is to ask your hotel if you could ship a box or two and if they would hold them in their storage room.

    Are cleaning supplies and toilet paper provided?
    For students living in Nagel, Nelson, or Centennial Towers suites, there will be some cleaning supplies available for cleaning their private bathrooms, available for checkout from the front desk. Students should bring their own when possible, as these “cleaning buckets” will be available for checkout and use by any resident of the building. Toilet paper is NOT provided for students living in these facilities. Toilet paper is provided in the community restrooms serviced by DU (in DFRV, JMAC, TLC, and Halls), but students living in suite- or apartment-style housing are expected to supply their own toilet paper.

    Where is the list of what students need to bring for school?
    A list of what is provided to students, what students should bring, and what they should not bring, can be found here: https://www.du.edu/housing/student/movingin/whattobring

    What amenities are in each room of the residence halls?
    A bed (frame and mattress), dresser, desk, and a chair will be provided for each resident in the first-year halls. Students who live in Towers reside in suites with kitchens. Students who live in JMAC and Halls will be provided with a microwave and mini-fridge. More detailed information about what each building offers can be found here.

    What should I expect during move-in?
    Students are asked to bring one form of ID with them and are allowed to bring one other person in line with them for check-in. Keys will be given to the student as part of their check-in packet. Vehicles will be allowed to pull up to the residence hall and unload belongings, but then will need to park in designated lots. We suggest that one person waits with the belongings while the vehicle is being parked. A limited number of carts will be available for use to help you move heavy items. These can be checked out at the residence hall front desk. JMAC has stairs only, but Centennial Towers and Centennial Halls have elevators. Please use the elevators on the way up to rooms, but use the stairs on the way down if possible. More information about move-in day can be found here.

    If a student is moving in, but also has a pass in the parking lot next to where they are moving in, will they still need to move their car after unloading?
    We will ask if your student can move their car after they finish moving in so others may have the opportunity to park close by during move-in hours, however if a student has a parking pass for that lot, they can leave it there.

    Can students have an electric hot water kettle in their rooms?
    Yes! Electric hot water kettles are okay to have in the rooms. Check out more info on what students should (or should not) bring to campus.

    Is laundry prepaid with the meal plan or do students need cash to do laundry? If so, how much is it per load?
    We have central laundry facilities on the main floor of each residence hall. WASH Multifamily Laundry Systems is the laundry equipment and service provider at DU and provides students the ability to pay for laundry using their phone or mobile device. Simply download the Speed Queen Insights app, enter the DU code (W10004), and add funds to the app from any credit card, debit card or banking account. The app will also show students how busy the laundry room is at the current time and notify them when their laundry is done. Students can also ask for live assistance 24/7 via the chat feature in the app. To start a washer or dryer, students simply open the app and scan the bar code to activate the machine. Directions are on the wall in each laundry room as well.

    Do students move out over winter break and do they keep their fall quarter room?
    Centennial Halls and JMAC will be closed for winter break. Students may keep their belongings in their rooms and can expect to remain in their assigned rooms throughout the entire academic year unless moved for approved administrative reasons. Please know there will not be any temporary housing options over winter break for students assigned to Halls or JMAC. There will be a fall room change day that will take place the third week of the fall quarter. Students interested in staying over winter break can make a permanent move to Centennial Towers during that time based upon available spaces. Detailed information about your student’s residence hall can be found here.

    Is storage available on campus during the summer?
    Storage is not available on campus during the summer, but there are local storage companies that will pick up packed boxes and other large items from students at the residence halls and then bring them back to students when they move in the following term. They will also store belongings while students are on winter break, away for studying abroad, or even if they need to store a spare set of tires or a bicycle. Check local resources for storage companies in the area. Squirrel Box was the storage company used for spring move-out last year.

    When do residence halls open after winter break?
    Students who reside in university housing that is closed over the break can move into their rooms on Sunday, January 2, beginning at 9:00am. Please keep in mind that dining services will not open until dinner on this day.

    Do the residence halls close during spring break, and can my student use their meal plan during spring break?
    Residence halls do not close during spring break. However, students should be advised that dining services and front desk hours will be limited during this time. Students are notified of which areas will close and which will remain open. Information about campus dining areas, meal plans, food allergy information, and many other resources about dining on campus may be found here.

    What are the meal plan options for my student?
    DU offers a number of different meal plan options. Details about meal block plans and meal plan cash may be found here.

    My student isn’t using all of their meals. Can we change their dining options?
    Students are able to change their meal plan within the first week of each quarter. This can be done by emailing Housing@du.edu or stopping by the front desk in Nagel Hall during business hours, Mon-Fri, 8:00am-4:30pm.

    Where do I submit my food restrictions/allergies?
    Registered Dietician, Gina.Vega@sodexo.com can help you with food restrictions and allergies. Please let us know your dietary requirements.

    What cleaning supplies are available for students to use and where do they find them?
    Students can check out vacuums from the front desk of their residence hall. Trash bags are also available. Aside from these items, students will need to provide their own cleaning supplies as needed.

    Is the front desk of each residence hall staffed 24/7?
    With the exception of the Apartments community, the front desk of each residence hall is operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week starting the day after move-in (Sept 7) and throughout the quarter. Limited desk hours go into effect during the winter and spring breaks.

    How will my student receive mail and packages?
    All flat mail and packages will be delivered to the front desk, which is then sorted out by the front desk staff. Mail and packages received during business hours will be logged and in their mailbox on the same day. If your student has any issues with a package, please encourage them to follow up with the Desk Manager of the building with a tracking code, description of the package, and confirmation of delivery.

    Where can my student find off-campus housing?
    The University doesn’t assist students with finding off-campus housing, but we’re happy to help connect your student to resources for living off campus.

    What about finding a place to live after they study abroad?
    There are excellent resources for parents of students on the Study Abroad website https://www.du.edu/abroad/family. You'll find information about the program deadlines, student advising about studying abroad, and how to help your student return from studying abroad.

  • Financial Aid

    Where can my student find scholarships available to them?
    Our Financial Aid office offers a number of resources to help students find scholarships both at DU and in the community. Visit the Financial Aid website or set up an appointment to receive one-on-one assistance.

    How can my student apply for work-study?
    Your student can apply for work-study through their FAFSA application. Once they have received their financial aid award letter, it should indicate if they received a work-study award. If your student does not qualify for work-study, they have the opportunity to work for a variety of offices on campus and can view student employment opportunities here.

  • Student Financial Services (Bursar)

    When will I get a bill and when is payment due?
    All non-first year students will receive a bill once they have registered for classes. This will be posted to their DUPay account 4 weeks before the start of the quarter. The bill is due 10 days prior to the start of classes each quarter. First-year students will receive their first bill after class registration in the summer. After their first quarter, all payments will be due 10 days before the start of the new quarter. Your student can add authorized users to their DUPay account which would allow a non-DU individual to access the bill and make payments.

    What payment options are available for tuition?
    The University of Denver offers payment plan options to pay tuition and fees. Quarterly payment plans are available for undergraduates and graduates. Semester plans are available for law students. The application fee is $20 per quarter plan and $30 per semester plan. Information about payment plans and tuition insurance can be found on the Bursar website.

    Where can I easily find other resources and information about paying tuition?
    The Billing Resources page of our website provides more information about tuition, payment plans, and will give you answers to many frequently asked questions. You can also visit the Bursar website for much more.

    How can my student provide me with access to pay their tuition?
    Students can sign up to give others (parents, guardians, employers, etc.) the ability to access their tuition account information through DUPay. Authorized users can view account balances and make payments. Students also have the option to give authorized users access to their bills and payment history. Here’s how:

    1. Login to PioneerWeb and select the Student tab
    2. Click on DUPay near the center of the page
    3. Select Authorized Users on the right side
    4. Click Add Authorized User
    5. Enter the email address of the authorized user and select the permissions you wish that person to have
    6. Click Continue
    7. Select the checkbox next to "I Agree"
    8. Click Continue
  • Health & Wellness

    What is the difference between the Student Health Insurance Plan and the Student Health and Counseling Fee?
    The University of Denver offers a comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) that is underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources. This plan is designed specifically for students attending the University of Denver and is only available to enrolled active students. Students choose to either enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan or choose to waive the plan with proof of alternate coverage.
    The Health and Counseling Fee helps subsidize many services provided at the Health & Counseling Center (HCC) regardless of insurance coverage. This fee provides students with discounted in-house medications, discounted laboratory tests, discounted procedures, and low co-payments for counseling and medical appointments. All students enrolled for six or more hours of graded credit in a traditional program (eight for law students) are automatically charged the Health and Counseling Fee each quarter (or semester for law students). Students enrolled for fewer than this number of credits must contact the HCC to enroll if they want to use HCC services. Detailed information about cost and services provided can be found on the HCC website.

    Can students use the Health & Counseling Center (HCC) even if we’ve waived Student health insurance and use our own?
    The Health & Counseling Center (HCC) provides many tele-medical and mental health services, including crisis and 24/7 after-hours support. All University of Denver students have access to free crisis services at the HCC, regardless of insurance coverage (303-871-2205).

    How do we waive the student health insurance provided by DU?
    Students must login to PioneerWeb to waive health insurance. Go to the Student tab, Registration tools, Accept/Waive Health Insurance and Fee. You can find more information about health insurance here.

    What if my student has an emergency after hours?
    The Health & Counseling Center can be consulted after hours by calling 303-871-2205.

  • Office of Student Engagement (OSE) and Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL)

    Will students have opportunities for social events? If so, how will they be held?
    Yes, students will have an opportunity to engage in events to make social connections, both interactive virtual experiences and in small groups during Discoveries Orientation, as part of their residential experience, and through programming offered on campus. While DU is still finalizing its COVID-19 protocols for event planning this fall, our campus departments and student organizations are busy planning a hybrid student experience following all safety and health measures including outdoor and indoor spaces.

    Will clubs be meeting and if so, what will be the protocols?
    Yes, DU encourages student organizations to continue their operations where possible, and will provide student leaders with guidance and resources for alternative methods as needed. Students can explore student organizations that align with their personal and academic interests, and can contact student leaders directly through the Crimson Connect platform, http://crimsonconnect.du.edu

    When is Fraternity/Sorority recruitment happening?
    Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment will be 10/01 – 10/03 with Bid Day on 10/04. For the IFC Fraternities, we will have that date posted here soon. For the cultural fraternities and sororities, all of their Intake dates vary but are more often during the spring time. More information will be shared with students as it is available.

  • Campus Safety

    How are students notified of an emergency on campus?
    Campus Safety uses a campus-wide alter system that every student is automatically added to when they arrive at DU. This system distributes information across campus to provide timely warnings regarding campus emergencies. Campus Safety Alerts are sent out only when there is an immediate threat to campus, when a crime trend is detected, or when campus closes due to weather. Students can choose to receive a text, phone call, and/or email alerts in their Notification Preferences on PioneerWeb.

    Is there a safe alternative to walking alone on campus during night or early morning hours?
    Campus Safety offers a walking escort for students, staff and faculty who do not want to walk on campus alone. Escorts will walk you to and from any location on campus. An escort can be requested by calling 303-871-2334.

    Where can my student register their bicycle, and which lock is best at preventing theft?
    Students should register and permit their bicycle through their Parking Services account. Campus Safety recommends securing bicycles using only U-Lock devices and making sure the U-Lock is through the bicycle’s frame when it is secured. Students, staff and faculty often wonder why we require the use of U-Locks. The reason is simple: cable locks are easily cut with basic tools and allow bikes to be stolen in a matter of a few short moments. Using only U-Locks can deter thieves from even coming to this campus in the future because bicycles with these locks are not an easy target for theft.

    Where can my student register their belongings (laptop, bike, etc.)?
    The University of Denver maintains a database for property registration. Registering property increases the chances of recovery in the event that your student’s items are stolen, particularly if they are able to register the property with the serial number. All current students, staff and faculty may register laptops, smartphones and other valuable items here.

  • Academic and Career Support

    How does my student get an appointment with an academic advisor?
    Students can schedule a virtual appointment with an advisor and learn more about advising resources on campus by visiting the website for the Office of Academic Advising. Information about class registration, drop-in appointments, and contact information is also found on that page.

    What resources are there for students who are questioning their major?
    The Office of Academic Advising can help students explore majors and minors, evaluate their academic progress, develop time management strategies, explore graduation planning, and much more.

    Who does my student talk with for career advice, writing a resume, or learning about the job search?
    Students can make an appointment with a Career Advisor, search jobs and internships, search the video library for career resources and more on the website for Career and Professional Development.

    My student transferred from a different university. How are their credits transferred and where do I find more information and resources for them?
    We accept transferred credit for courses that reasonably match courses offered here at DU. You can find out if your student’s classes qualify for transfer credit, see what steps they should take as a new transfer student, view application deadlines and get information about scholarships on the Transfer Students Admission page.

  • Other Resources

    Who should my student talk to if they need help?
    Students are provided with support and education about how to care for themselves and other community members through newsletters and other publications before they arrive at DU and in detailed sessions during Discoveries Orientation. At the University of Denver, we engage in a culture of care and support for individuals and the campus community to maintain their safety, health, and well-being. Through our holistic collaboration, we can work together to ensure students are connected to the appropriate resources to meet their goals and develop new skills in navigating challenging experiences. We proactively reach out to students in several ways, but sometimes they choose to reach out to their support systems for help when they don’t know who to talk with on campus. Sometimes parents and guardians notice something is just “off” and may want to get in touch with us to talk. Listed here are a few of the resources we suggest you become familiar with, so you are best able to guide your student if they may need some help.

    Student Outreach & Support
    If you notice that your student is showing signs of distress or in other ways that give you the “gut feeling” something is wrong, it is important to communicate your concerns through an SOS Referral Form, a proactive and reactive design that has been developed to help individuals and the campus community maintain their safety, health, and well-being. This holistic approach, designed by the office of Student Outreach & Support, connects students to the appropriate resources to meet their goals and develop new skills in navigating challenging experiences. Some details about how to recognize indicators of difficulty or distress your student may be experiencing are found here. Important advice about when to report signs of distress and how the University responds to reports are also found on this page. Anyone is able to submit a report, including parents, guardians, friends, and DU community members.

    Disability Services Program (DSP)
    DSP is dedicated to giving students with disabilities equal opportunity to participate in the University’s programs, courses and activities. DSP provides accommodations at no cost to any student who has a documented disability as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. If a student would like to request accommodations, they should fill out the Request for Accommodation form, and submit all required documentation. Documentation guidelines and contact information for DSP can be found there as well.

    Health & Counseling
    Many resources for medical and counseling services, costs, educational events, and contact information are found on the Health & Counseling website. Medical appointments and professional counseling services can be scheduled online or by calling 303-871-2205. We have after-hours support and urgent care resources which can be found on that page as well. Please bookmark this page so you have it easily accessible. Students have this information available to them in several ways, but in a moment of need they sometimes don’t remember who to talk with or where to go, and they may get in touch with you first. We are here to help and available to your students, and they should feel welcome to call or email any time.

    Center for Advocacy, Prevention, and Empowerment (CAPE)
    CAPE supports survivor healing by providing advocacy and resources for victims of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and sexual harassment. Visit the CAPE website to become familiar with their resources or contact their office at cape@du.edu. CAPE provides information about receiving care, reporting options, confidential and non-confidential services, getting involved in educational programs, and many other resources.

    When and how do students purchase their textbooks so they have them in time for day 1 class?
    You can make selections for books on the DU Bookstore website. The bookstore will communicate options for picking up books to your student by email.

    How do we find our way to the residence hall or to other places on campus?
    The campus map shows locations of our buildings, including residence halls and parking lots.

    What kind of laptop should my student have and can they print on campus?
    New students can find a guide to help them learn about laptops, software, printing, email, and other technology resources on the Information Technology Student Resources website.

    How can my student get involved on campus?
    There are a number of ways students can get involved on campus. DU offers over 500 different student organizations. We also have club and intermural athletics, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Living and Learning Communities, service learning, internship opportunities, Affinity groups, and so much more. The Crimson Connect website is where students can learn about all of their campus involvement opportunities.

    How does my student get tickets to athletic events on campus?
    Student tickets are available for all athletic events for FREE with their ID with the exception of hockey – they are limited. Hockey season tickets are provided to the first 200 students at the annual hockey campout event (end of September) as well as another 200 single game tickets on Wednesday’s prior to each home series. Once these tickets are distributed, student tickets are only $5 on denverpioneers.com or by calling 303-871-3938.

    How do students get to the mountains to go skiing?
    Students can take their own car, ride with a friend, or jump on the ski bus provided through the DU Alpine Club. A charter bus will take students from campus up to one of the resorts featured on the Epic and Ikon passes. The cost for a seat on the bus is typically between $10-15 and covers the student’s transportation to the resort and back to campus. Students are responsible for their lift ticket, equipment, food and any other expenses. Registration will be online and is first come, first served.

    Can my student bring a car to campus their first year?
    Any of our students (including first-years) can bring a car to campus, but they must purchase a parking pass. Parking is in high demand and spaces are limited. Several first year students will not have a car. Because of the infrequent need for driving, their car may spend a lot of time sitting in the parking lot. A parking pass may be an unnecessary expense if the car won’t be used much. Full-time students have a transportation pass which allows them to travel on buses and the light rail train for free. Since students usually travel in groups, they want to be with their friends who are using their passes. As students choose to find jobs away from campus or have a greater need for a vehicle, that’s when they usually choose to bring a car to campus.

    How can my student get to and from Denver International Airport (DIA)?
    There are a number of ways for students to get to and from the airport. All full-time students receive a transportation pass which allows them to travel on buses and the light rail train for free in the city of Denver. If using the train, the best route from DU to the airport is to take the E-line to Union Station and then transfer to the A-line. The last stop on the A-line is DIA. This method of travel might take an hour or more, depending on the time of day your student needs to arrive at the airport, but it’s still a favorite way to get there because you don’t need to worry about traffic and you know what time you’re supposed to arrive by looking at the RTD schedules. There are also taxis, ride-share apps, the Super Shuttle and the ever popular carpool with friends.

    How should my student prepare for winter weather in Colorado?
    With the unpredictable winter weather in Colorado, it’s best to be prepared at all times. Most snow storms happen in the spring, and there have been a few in early summer as well. It does get pretty hot here, but you never know, so we suggest always having a way to layer clothing. Here are a few items to have on hand:
    Layers - including thermals and sweatshirts
    Winter coat that is wind and water resistant
    Winter or snow boots (waterproof)
    Extra blankets
    Microwavable food in case they don't want to leave their room

    If they have a car, they should keep a "winter kit" year round, including:
    Window scraper for ice and snow removal
    Extra set of warm clothes
    Snacks (energy bars)
    Flashlight with extra batteries
    First aid kit
    Necessary medications
    Emergency flares or reflectors
    Car charger for mobile phone