Take Your First Ascent
Take part in an exciting, new University of Denver Tradition: First Ascent. With your peers, you will travel to DU’s Kennedy Mountain Campus for a weekend of exploration, adventure, connection and learning.
In the awe-inspiring backdrop of the Rocky Mountains, you will be immersed in the DU 4D Experience. You will discover the wonder of intellectual growth and curiosity. The confidence to pursue purpose-driven lives and careers. The joy of wellbeing for ourselves, others, and our planet. And the strength of character built upon individual values.
What to Expect
First Ascent is a transformative experience open to all new DU students. From challenge courses and guided hikes to cliffside lakes, outdoor climbing, artistic and life design exploration, community campfires, and ample time to simply explore and build the lifelong friends that will define your time at DU.
Students must register for a specific First Ascent experiences held during the following weekends during the Fall 23 Quarter:
- Sept. 8-10 (Transfer & Exchange Students)
- Sept. 15-17 (Week 1)
- Sept. 22-24 (Week 2)
- Sept. 29-Oct. 1 (Week 3) - Note: This is sorority recruitment weekend. Those intending to rush should select a different weekend to avoid conflicts.
- Oct. 6-8 (Week 4) - Note: This is fraternity recruitment weekend. Those intending to rush should select a different weekend to avoid conflicts.
- Oct. 13-15 (Week 5) - Note: This is Hockey Campout weekend. Those intending to participate should select a different weekend to avoid conflicts.
- Oct. 20-22 (Week 6; PLP/Honors Students)
Student who are not interested in participating in First Ascent must request an exemption.
Disability Services & Accommodations
At the University of Denver, we take accessibility very seriously. If you believe you may have difficulty with access for our Kennedy Mountain Campus Ascent experiences because you use a wheelchair or have other mobility needs, please contact the Disability Services Program as soon possible so they can assist you in planning and accommodating your access. As far as your academic access at KMC, we believe that once you provide your accommodation letter to your instructors, you accommodations will be implemented.