First Generation Initiatives - 1GenU
1GenU is a four-year developmental and community-building program that focuses on assisting first-generation students and their families in navigating the college experience while providing mentorship and academic resources to ensure their success at DU and post-graduation.
1GenU strives to:
- Create a welcoming environment that builds a sense of belonging among incoming first-generation students, their families, and the DU community
- Share knowledge and information about roles and community resources to help 1GenU students better navigate their college experience
- Engage collaboratively with the DU and Denver communities
- Build a community of support among 1GenU students at the University
- Help first-generation students acclimate to college life by providing pre-exposure to the University and broader community
- Provide a network of University and peer support for first-generation students
Each year of the 1GenU program focuses on different specific aspects of academic, professional, and personal development.
Year One: Student Success & College Transition
- Helps first-generation students acclimate to college life by hosting a pre-orientation experience the week prior to DU's general orientation
- Provides 1GenU students with campus information and identity development resources to help smooth their transition into college life
Year Two: Community Engagement & Connection
- Hosts on-campus events to get first-generation students involved
- Helps facilitate relationship building between fellow students, faculty, staff, and the broader community
- Starts 1GenU students participating in community service
Year Three: Career Readiness & Mentorship
- Provides first-generation students with help and support in building their resumes, writing cover letters, and creating LinkedIn profiles
- Offers mentorship opportunities
Year Four: Transition & Career Exploration
- Provides networking opportunities and job/post-graduation preparation to help smooth 1GenU students' transition out of college and into adult life
Can I still participate in the 1GenU program if I am a member of a Living & Learning Community (LLC)?
Yes! You will still need to complete the 1GenU application, but first-generation students living in LLCs have the opportunity to fully participate in the 1GenU program.
Does 1GenU have a first-generation floor in the residence halls?
Yes! You can apply to live in the first-generation floor in Centennial Halls in your 1GenU application, though this is not required. If you are part of a Living & Learning Community (LLC) that requires you to live on their floor, you cannot reside on the first-generation floor.
Does 1GenU have a scholarship?
Yes! 1GenU provides a $150 book scholarship every quarter.
How much does 1GenU cost?
Nothing! 1GenU is offered at no cost to the participants and is a fully funded Access & Transitions program.