G.I. Bill®, Scholarships & More

The DU Office of Veterans & Military Resources is here to help you understand your funding options. We know that funding your education can be overwhelming, but we'll stick with you every step of the way. From initiating your GI Bill® benefits application to seeking out scholarships and more, we've got your back.

On this page, you will find information and links about applying to attend DU using your GI Bill® benefits, where to find details on specific benefits you've earned, activating or transferring your benefits through the VA, and programs and scholarships that may be available to you as a veteran, even if you don't qualify for GI Bill® benefits.

cta banner

Unsure about your benefits?

Start by filling out our GI Bill® Questionnaire. It will help you understand your eligibility and options as a student veteran or qualifying family member.

GI Bill® Questionnaire

Application Roadmaps

Transfer to DU as an Undergraduate

Transferring from another institution? We are excited to welcome you to the University of Denver! Click below for a roadmap of the DU admission process and timeline for undergraduate GI Bill® applicants.

Undergraduate Application Roadmap

Enroll as a Graduate Student

Graduate school can take your education and professional experience to new heights. Click below for a roadmap of the DU admissions process for graduate school GI Bill® applicants, with relevant deadlines such as the last day to submit your Yellow Ribbon Funding application.

Graduate Application Roadmap
brick background

Your GI Bill® Education Benefits

Detailed information on your GI Bill® education benefits — including activation, certification, Chapters, supplemental programs, and more — is available from the DU Registrar's Office.

Learn More

Visit the Official GI Bill® Website

The Department of Veterans Affairs website will always have the most current GI Bill® information. There, you can find a variety of GI Bill® resources, as well as the official application.

Visit Site

Explore Your Options

For detailed information about using your GI Bill® benefits, please visit the Office of the Registrar's GI Bill® Education Benefits page. For more on specific programs from the official VA website, follow the links below.

Beyond the GI Bill®: Scholarships & Yellow Ribbon Funding

Scholarships and Grants

If you don't qualify for GI Bill® benefits, there are plenty of other public and private funding options available to student veterans in the form of scholarships and grants. As soon as possible, explore scholarship and grant requirements and deadlines.


Scholarship Opportunities

Yellow Ribbon Funding Program

The University of Denver partakes in the Yellow Ribbon Funding Program, which offers additional financial support for costs not covered by the GI Bill®. The Yellow Ribbon Program focuses on making out-of-state colleges, private universities, and graduate schools accessible to veterans.

Learn More

Using Veteran Benefits at DU: What We Need from You

We know the various application processes for veteran aid can be complicated and confusing. That's why the Office of Veterans & Military Resources and DU are here to offer guidance and assistance every step of the way. The list below covers what the University requires from you before approval. For detailed information on your GI Bill® benefits and accessing them from the VA, please visit the Office of the Registrar's GI Bill® Education Benefits page.

  • Apply for Federal and University Financial Aid

    Before you can use veteran-specific benefits at DU, you'll need to submit a general financial aid application. All the information you'll need to begin your FAFSA application can be found here. If you're already prepared to begin the application, you may do so at the official FAFSA website.

  • Obtain VA Certification

    In order to use veteran benefits at DU, you'll need a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Statement of Benefits from the VA. Learn more about how to obtain them at the Office of the Registrar's GI Bill® Education Benefits page.

  • Submit Your VA Certification with the Intent to Use Veteran Benefits Information Sheet

    Once you've submitted your FAFSA and acquired VA certification, it's time to fill out the Intent to Use Veteran Benefits Information Sheet. Submit it, along with your COE or Statement of Benefits, to VACertify@du.edu.

  • Report Any Changes in Enrollment

    We understand that circumstances can change. If you decide to adjust your enrollment status, we need to know within 72 hours. In addition, please remember that changes to your enrollment status can drastically affect financial aid awards. Even if funds have already been distributed, you may be required to repay a percentage retroactively if your enrollment changes.

    Enrollment status changes that require notification include:

    • Increase or decrease in hours or credits
    • Withdrawal from a class
    • Complete withdrawal from the university
    • Change of address
    • Incompletes received in place of grades

    If these changes occur, you are responsible for notifying the DU School Certifying Official at 303-871-5350 or VACertify@du.edu.

    A reduction in your course load may result in a retroactive reduction in benefits and a debt to the VA. You will be responsible for paying back any and all debts to the Veteran's Administration if an overpayment is made due to enrollment changes.

banner image

Did you know that your benefits may transfer to your spouse or dependent?

Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program can transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children.

Transfer Your Benefits