Custom DEI Workshops
Beyond ready-to-go workshops, we can work with you to adapt existing or create entirely new workshops whose content and format best meet the needs of your organization, class or unit. Please review our Collaboration information (below) for details and to submit your request.
Thinking About Our Collaboration
As you think about your goals for our work together, please consider the following:
Your Desired Content/Outcomes
- We offer workshops and consultations on a range of issues around diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice. These include introductions to concepts such as worldview, identity and social systems, as well as deeper explorations of these and related topics.
- If you are looking for information about particular populations (eg, Native American cultures, international students, etc), social issues (eg, poverty, Affirmative Action, immigration, etc), current events, or historical/ social movements (eg, US Civil Rights, 3rd wave feminism, etc), conflict resolution and mediation, etc, then there are other subject matter experts at DU and in our community who could better provide expertise on these topics. Consider contacting a relevant academic program directly; or we may be able to suggest a resource person on or beyond campus. (Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or 303.871.4614 rather than using this online form.)
- Whatever the topic, it is important that you are clear on what specific knowledge and/or action outcomes you would like your group to gain. Requesting "diversity" training is similar to asking for general "safety" or "financial" training; what specifically are the DEI concerns or needs your group could improve on?
When identifying available times for a workshop, please consider that the time allotted sends a message about the topic's importance for your group, and also can limit the type and depth of engagement possible. (How long would you need to provide a useful engagement of your area of expertise?)
- 10-15 minutes: A brief overview of IEE and DEI.
- 1-2 hours: Set the stage, constructively engage and wrap up a meaningful workshop meeting one-to-three specific learning objectives.
- 4-8+ hours: Address both personal and organizational developmental goals around DEI, interactive activities, and action plans for the future.
To demonstrate the importance of the workshop content to participants, and to allow our staff to focus on learning facilitation, we ask that the group leader (officer, supervisor, instructor) or a clear designee be present for and actively participate in the entire workshop. If their leader doesn't feel it important enough to pay attention, why should participants?
Preparation and Follow-up
It is important to intentionally integrate DEI into all aspects of our campus community on an ongoing, not just occasional, basis. How have you been engaging DEI already; what are we building on or adding to? And, what will you and your group do after the workshop, to ensure that DEI continues to be engaged? We are happy to assist in the effort to prepare for the workshop, and to develop an action plan for the future.
In some cases, a workshop may not be the best format for reaching your learning goals, in which case we will be happy to provide suggestions, referrals, etc.
Requesting the Collaboration
Building on the considerations above, please have the following information ready and complete our online training request form:
- Contact person and how to reach them
- Requested date(s) and times (at least two weeks' lead time is best!)
- Participant numbers, affiliation, and any extra needs
- Content specifics (goals, learning objectives), even initial ones
An IEE staff member will follow up with you as soon as possible to discuss details.
Please note that completing the form is NOT a guaranteed booking; it's a starting place for planning.